Statement in response to the protest action taken at Port Taranaki on Wednesday, 31 January 2018
Port Taranaki chief executive Guy Roper confirmed protestors entered the port’s operations area early this morning. The protestors boarded a support vessel, where they chained themselves to the mast and front rails.
Mr Roper said protestors had been issued with trespass notices.
He said while he supported the right to peaceful protest, he did not condone the action taken by the protestors that put the safety of themselves, ship’s crew, port staff, contractors and the public at risk.
“The operations area of Port Taranaki is a hazardous environment and health and safety is paramount. We are concerned for the welfare of all the people affected by this action, including the protestors. There is forecast bad weather approaching therefore disembarking them from the vessel quickly and safely is our focus and we are supporting the police to achieve this.”
Mr Roper said the port operations area remained open for business.